Every individual and family in our city deserves to have their basic needs met. Your generous donation has been invested in programs and services that address the root cause of poverty and build the capacity and assets required to help individuals and families grow into more sustainable lives. Your support is helping to address these needs by granting funds to agencies whose programming is focused on:
- Ensuring basic human needs are met
- Individuals attain stable housing
- Families have a safe place to call home
Thanks to your act of local love, people like Michele can overcome addictions, gain access to mental health supports, and find a safe place to call home.
“I started using hard drugs in my twenties; then I went to university to earn a degree in community studies. Because of my drug use, after graduating, I ended up living in the streets for several years. I would utilize United Way funded programs.
I struggled with depression. I might have been dead today if I hadn’t started volunteering at one of the United Way funded centres. Many times, volunteering made me have to get up and go out. When I had an obligation, I would live up to it, even while I was using drugs.
Today I have a place to live, and I’m no longer a hard drug user. I’m 62 years old, and I’m alive. So that’s a success story. I may have had a rough life, but I don’t consider it like that. It’s just my life.
Watch Michele’s Story HERE
WHAT WE KNOW – Homelessness
In Canada, it is estimated that over 35,000 individuals are experiencing homelessness on any given night and over 400 right here in Saskatoon.
THE IMPACT OF YOUR DONATION – Right Here At Home
- You have helped over 115 men and women who experienced homelessness find a warm and safe place to call home through United Way’s Journey Home, Housing First program.
- 725 food boxes were delivered to seniors struggling with food security in Saskatoon.
- Individuals accessed a day centre over 48,000 times. They had access to a hot meal, hygiene supplies, and computers, needs many of us take for granted.
LOOKING TO VOLUNTEER?
United Way’s website offers a volunteer database with local volunteer listings for in and around Saskatoon at any time of year. New listings are being added every day. You can post an opportunity or find opportunities for yourself, friends, or family.
Click here to visit our website for a list of volunteer opportunities in and around Saskatoon from various charities and not-for-profit groups.
Help move people from poverty to possibility right here at home.
Become a monthly donor today.